Friday, April 20, 2012

New Digitech Whammy

FIRST OF ALL: Before you say I copied this from Wikipedia, let me say that I did. But that's because I updated the Wikipedia article on the Whammy in the first place. 
So, today, I saw the official Digitech Facebook page posted pictures of a new Whammy pedal.

I looked around on a couple forums and this is what I gathered: 
      It retains the basic look of the Whammy IV, but has the treadle design and most of the Whammy/Harmony/Detune effects of the Whammy DT. It lacks the Wet/Dry outputs of the Whammy IV, keeping only the Wet. Also like the Whammy DT, it runs on a 9V DC adaptor (265 mA). It's also true-bypass.The new Whammy has most of the same effects as the Whammy DT, but without the Drop Tune controls. It also lacks a single Drop Tune setting like the one on the Whammy IV, meaning it doesn't have any way to drop a guitar's tone down one step. It also replaces the Second Up setting of the DT with a Second Down setting. A new feature on this version of the Whammy is a Classic/Chords switch. When the 'Classic' option is selected, the Whammy makes noises described as a "glitch-fest" by a Digitech Representative when playing chords, because it is not polyphonic. The 'Chords' option activates polyphony, making chords ring out much clearer.
     Please don't comment on the encyclopedic nature of the above paragraph. I wrote it for Wikipedia and copy-pasted here. Anyway, I think the new Whammy looks pretty awesome. Here's a clearer pic:

The only thing I don't like is the fact that I just got the Whammy IV a few months ago. I think I may have to trade my old one for this thing when it comes out. Speaking of it coming out, it ships the last week of May, meaning you can get it in stores the first week of June. It retails for $199.99, so start saving up!

No comments:

Post a Comment